DIY Travel HABIT Guide: Singapore
Making travel a good HABIT for your well being.
Travel Dates: August 23-28, 2016
Singapore without any doubt, is the most developed and successful country in Asia. The famous Changi Airport is constantly ranked by travellers as the best airport. It’s no secret that it Singapore is a top choice for many travellers whether they are a frequent flyer or a first timer because it’s easy to get around and the country is generally safe.
To make your trip to Singapore hassle-free and more enjoyable as possible, here are some tips that you can take note of. 😉
H – A – B – I – T
H for Hotel / House / Hostel
There are plenty of choices to stay in Singapore and one of the cheapest hotels you can choose is located in Bugis.
If you want to stay longer but on a budget, try this:
Parkview Hotel in Bugis area
- 81 Beach Road
- It is close to Bugis Junction, hawker place, MRT, Arab Street, and Haji Lane
- Nearest MRT is Bugis (just on the other street)
- Another thing good about it is that this already includes a free buffet style breakfast! They have sausages, eggs, fried rice, pork and beans, ham, bread, strawberry jam, salted butter, coffee, water, orange juice, and fruits (watermelon). Although it is the same menu every breakfast but dude, it’s free! 😄
If you are traveling solo, search for cheapest hostels or hotels in Singapore and Google will give you a lot of options. 😉 Just a friendly reminder, always check the reviews. 😜
A for Activities / Action / Adventure
Singapore may be one of the most expensive countries to visit in Southeast Asia, but there are dozens of free things to do in Singapore to ease the pressure on your wallet.
- Did you know that you can do a lot of things inside the Changi Airport? Yes, you heard it right, there are array of attractions, shopping and dining offerings. You will definitely find something that meets your needs.
Terminal 1: Social Tree
Terminal 2: enchanted garden & si flower garden
Terminal 3: giant slide inside the airport
Hard Rock cafe
Click the link below for your reference.
- Catch sight of the light and sound show at Gardens By The Bay. Show is twice a day around 7:45pm and 8:45pm for about 15 minutes. Make sure to come a bit early, so you can take the coolest spot.
- If you are an Instagram addict like me, explore Haji Lane, Kampong Glam, and Sultan Mosque in Arab Street. It will definitely hit a lot of likes in your IG account or even Facebook! 😜
- Take photos of the World’s coolest hybrid – the Merlion!
What other place would even think of making a bizarre hybrid of a lion and fish its international ambassador?
The Merlion’s body represents Singapore’s humble roots as a fishing village.
Its head represents Singapore’s original name, Singapura, or “lion city” in Malay.
Don’t forget to have a souvenir photo with the best selfie backdrop 😂☺️ 💛💜💗
Merlion is located next to One Fullerton, overlooking Marina Bay.
- Treat your eyes and ears to Singapore Night Festival, showcases the art and culture of Singapore. It only happens once a year.
Other freebies are Singapore Botanic Gardens, National University of Singapore Museum, Haw Par Villa, St Andrew’s Cathedral, and the Armenian Church
Enough of the freebies, time to spend for some exciting and fun adventure in Singapore.
- Embrace your inner child and experience Universal Studios located in Sentosa.
Just a few tips for first timers
– Don’t pick weekends and holidays.
– Do not waste your time taking pictures or buying souvenirs the first time you reach the place. Focus to get on your favourite rides, especially the ones which usually have long queues. You can take pictures later on and check souvenir shops later on.
– If you experience long queue, try single ride ( even if you are with your friend/partner, just don’t mention you know each other, so you can avoid the queue and you can maximise your time. 😉
– Have drinking bottles with you. There are lots of drinking water taps, it can save some money.
– Prepare to get wet for Jurassic Park Rapid Adventure, so you’d better bring extra clothes if you want to experience sitting on the Wet Area during the Waterworld show.
– Our favourite show/rides are Battlestar Galactica: Cylon, Transformers, Revenge of the Mummy, Waterworld, Lights Camera Action, and Canopy Flyer. Experience these first and try to finish the rest of the rides/shows if you still have an extra time. ☺️
- The zoo in Singapore is one of the top attractions and one of the best in the world! There are 3 options to choose from – Singapore Zoo, River Safari, and Night Safari.
We tried the River Safari which was really worth it!! We watched the otters swim and eat, Panda Kai Kai sleep and eat, the cute red panda running on the tree branch, monkeys playing, Jaguar walking during the boat ride, the Polar Bear swimming til he slept and many other creatures you will only find there.
The otters eat around 245pm while we went back to the panda to see him eat at 3pm.
Due to its diverse population and immigrant background, SG culture has often been described as a mixed culture. Aside from world-class infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, Singapore has a variety of cuisines you can explore! All #yumyuminthetumtum 😜
- For those who want to get a meal for $2.50 and under, try the hawker places in Bugis Area, Newton, Maxwell, Chinatown and food places Little India. You can also try Makansutra in the evening and Lau Pa Sat, though a bit higher priced than others but still great food!! 👍👌
- If you want to party at night but want a sumptuous dinner and dessert, try Cha Cha Cha and 2AM Dessert Bar in Holland Village.
- Don’t miss out the famous $1 ice cream in Orchard Road! (now $1.20)
Near Takashimaya or the opposite side
B for Budget
Budget for Airfare: P6433 each * 2 = P12,866
(no special promo when we booked it)
MNL to SG thru Tiger Air
SG to MNL thru Jetstar
To cut your expenses, wait for promotions from airlines, most especially during holidays. It may even cost you less than ₱4000 depending on the travel dates and availability.
Travel Tax: P1,620 each * 2 = P3,240
Budget for the Hotel: $110/night * 4days = $440 or around P15,400 in PH peso, divide that in 4 days, that is only P3,850/night.)
Budget for Transportation in SG = $210 or approx. P7350
Fare for bus and MRT = $140 for two
EZ link is $30 each * 2 = $60 or P2100
$25 worth of fare + $5 for each card fee
We reloaded the card at Day 4 for another $10 or P350 (minimum load)
Fare for taxi = $70 or approx. P2450
Taxi from MBS to Parkview Hotel = $23 or P805 (if you will stay out late, the last train or bus would be around 11pm + to Beach Road so there’s no choice but to take a cab).
Taxi from Singapore Night Festival in Armenian street going to Bishan Town = $24 or P840
(we will stay in our friend’s place while waiting for our flight the following day).
Taxi from Bishan to Changi Airport = $23 or approx P805
(we don’t have a choice but to take a cab because our flight is 6:15 AM! Lesson learned, do not book a return flight this early).
Pasalubong and other stuff = around $600 for two or approx P21000
Food budget = $275.35 or approx. $9637.25
Day 1 Lunch @ Hawker Center Bugis = $3.50 each * 2 = $7 or approx. P245
Day 1 merienda @ Mcdo = $7.95 or approx P278.25
$1 each for Buko and Iced Milo in Bugis Center = $2 or approx P70
1.5 Liter of water = $1.70 or approx P59.50
Day 1 Dinner @ Food Junction in Bugis = $4.50 each * 2 = $9 or P315
Day 2 Breakfast = free @ Parkview Hotel
Day 2 Lunch inside USS: $11 and $3 = $14 or P490
Day 2 Dinner @ Makansutra = $9.50 or P332.50
Day 3 Breakfast = free @ Parkview Hotel
Day 3 Lunch @ Lau Pa Sat = $13 or P455
Day 3 merienda = 1.20 each for ice cream * 2 = $2.40 or P84
Carl’s Jr = not sure pls check receipt
Day 3 Dinner @ Makansutra = $7 or P245
Day 4 Breakfast = free @ Parkview Hotel
Day 4 Lunch @ KFC inside Singapore Zoo = $10 or approx. P350
Day 4 Merienda: bread and chocolate muffin = $3 or P105
Day 4 Dinner in Holland Village
Cha Cha Cha = $24 or P840
2AM Dessert Bar = $39 or P1,365
(Minimum of $15 to consume in 2AM Dessert Bar)
Day 5 Breakfast = free @ Parkview Hotel
Day 5 Lunch @ Popeye’s = $10 or approx P350
Day 5 Dinner @ Korean Resto @ Somerset = $24 each * 2 = $48 or P1680
Day 5 Breakfast @ Airport = $3.00
Universal Studios Singapore = ₱2063.80 thru Klook
River Safari = ₱815 thru Klook
Check out Klook, an online concierge for you to explore, book, and enjoy exclusive deals on unique travel experiences! With this invitation you get ₱150.6 in free credit on your first activity. To book, simply sign-up here:https://www.klook.com/invite/LI459
I for Itinerary
August 23 Tuesday
Take mrt to expo station .. Changi city point outlets
Take mrt to bugis station – checkin parkview hotel
Bugis malls then take mrt to farrer station – mustafa
Day 2 August 24 Wednesday
Vivocity mall before USS
August 25 Thursday
Kampong Glam walking tour
– Haji Lane
– Sultan Mosque
Lunch @ Lau Pa Sat
Gardens By The Bay
Ce La Vi
August 26 Friday
August 27 Saturday
IMM outlets near Jurong East MRT
Dinner @ Somerset mall
Singapore Night Festival
T for Transportation
Tiger Air flight from Manila to SG
Jetstar flight from SG to Manila
Public buses MRT / train is dependable – use the reloadable EZ Link pass which can also be used with the Sentosa monorail. The EZ Link Tourist pass cannot be used in Sentosa if you plan to go around Sentosa.
EZ link card is helpful if you plan to explore all the tourists spots in Singapore. It will save you time and money. Don’t worry if you didn’t use all your load for this card, you can still use it within 5 years! ☺️